I'm currently on F-1 visa. My friend would like to setup a LLC and hire me as a director. Is this possible and with what visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

It is a performing art company; contracting performers for classical music venues, weddings venues, events, etc.

I would like to be hired as the artistic director and a performer for the company. I am guessing that I would need either O1 visa or E2 visa. What kind of requirements does the company have to hire/sponsor a non-immigrant worker?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Parva Fattahi

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For E2, you need to bring a lot of money to invest in the business, and for O-1 you should have high level of achievements in the related field (you can read more about it here: https://www.fattahi-law.com/immigration/o-1-visa/). However, details should be discussed with an immigration attorney, since the information you provided is not sufficient, and both of these categories (as well as and any other visa category that you could potentially be eligible for) need extensive legal discussions for eligibility determination.

  2. Nicklaus James Misiti

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your friend needs to speak with and retain an attorney if they are serious about this. Just because they start a business does not mean you would qualify for a visa through them, there are many more requirements.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You friend need to consult with an immigration attorney.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.


There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,905 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,905 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering