Skip to main content

I'm currently F-1 visa, expect to get OPT card this December, if I get married in Nov to my bf who is US citizen. What changes?

Warrensburg, MO |

Do I still need to apply for OPT if I get married before I graduate???

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You should apply for a green card so that oyu no longer need work authorization when you are a permanent resident. However, you will probably get OPT before your work authorization

  2. What changes is that you can file for a greencard.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. Nothing changes if you do nothing.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  4. Have an immigration attorney help you file for a green card. With the GC you no longer will need an OPT or F1.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

  5. Get immigration lawyer to help file

    John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics