I'm being sued for harassment can I go to jail?

Asked 9 months ago - Pittsburgh, PA

my husband mistress attacked me and I received a letter in the mail that she is suing me for harassment. I dont know what to do. I've never been to jail and dont have any witnesses or have any family in pittsburgh. Can I go to jail if found guilty?

1. William Ray Pelger

1

Answered . I am guessing this is a criminal case and you are charged with a summary. No, you shouldnt go to jail, but i would hire a lawyer for the hearing.

2. Samuel Cohen

Answered . Yes. Get a criminal defense lawyer right away.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Are you being sued? Or are you being prosecuted?

If you have been charged with a crime you need a criminal defense attorney.

If you are being sued, you need a civil litigation attorney.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

Answered . If you are being civilly sued for money in court, you will not go to jail and the woman can only obtain a money judgment against you. Hire an attorney to defend against the case and to show that she has suffered no damages.

If you are being prosecuted by a criminal prosecutor, then you could potential go to jail. However, they would not simply send you a letter in the mail. They would at least personally serve you with a summons or arrest you and make you post bond. In that situation you would need a criminal defense attorney.