Skip to main content

I'm being sued for harassment can I go to jail?

Pittsburgh, PA |

my husband mistress attacked me and I received a letter in the mail that she is suing me for harassment. I dont know what to do. I've never been to jail and dont have any witnesses or have any family in pittsburgh. Can I go to jail if found guilty?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes. Get a criminal defense lawyer right away.

    The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

  2. Are you being sued? Or are you being prosecuted?

    If you have been charged with a crime you need a criminal defense attorney.

    If you are being sued, you need a civil litigation attorney.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  3. If you are being civilly sued for money in court, you will not go to jail and the woman can only obtain a money judgment against you. Hire an attorney to defend against the case and to show that she has suffered no damages.

    If you are being prosecuted by a criminal prosecutor, then you could potential go to jail. However, they would not simply send you a letter in the mail. They would at least personally serve you with a summons or arrest you and make you post bond. In that situation you would need a criminal defense attorney.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

  4. I am guessing this is a criminal case and you are charged with a summary. No, you shouldnt go to jail, but i would hire a lawyer for the hearing.