I'm being sued for copyright infringement. Should I pay or get a lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Irving, TX

I'm being accused of posting pictures on a forum. The amount they want is relatively small but should I try to get it lowered?

1. John E. Whitaker

6

1

Answered . Well, I guess the straight answer to your question is yes, you should definitely try to get it lowered. I think that is the always the best answer. As to whether you should hire a lawyer, I think the answer to that is also always yes, if for no other reason than to make sure you don't do something wrong while you are negotiating your own settlement. You should at a minimum call a couple lawyers and pick their brains for a half hour or so.

Answers and information provided here does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Maxwell Seaton Felsheim

3

Answered . A lower amount is always desirable. A lawyer can help with this negotiation and help you craft a settlement that will protect you from other possible infringement actions that this particular plaintiff may have.

3. Jason Paul Steed

Answered . A lawyer is going to cost money. If the amount you might save through a lawyer is less than what it'll cost you to hire the lawyer, then you should consider just trying to negotiate a lower amount yourself. It's a simple cost/benefit analysis.

4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you should get a lawyer. No, you should not try any negotiating. That's a job for a lawyer.

5. Oscar Michelen

Answered . You really provide insufficient details for anyone to give you information but I am part of an entire website devoted to this issue extoritonletterinfo.com. Maybe you can find answers to your questions there.

6. Kerry Blasingim

Answered . If the amount you're going to be required to pay is more than what a lawyer would charge you to negotiate a lower fee, you should hire an attorney. If it isn't, you may want to go it alone - but you should be very careful about negotiating without an attorney and should be prepared for the possibility that they decide to go to court instead of settling.

Personally, I would never advise negotiating with a lawyer unless you are, yourself, an attorney. The other side is going to more knowledgeable about the law and procedure and you may not know how strong or weak the claim is.