I'm being sued for a car accident I wasn't a part of but did witness

Phoenix, AZ |

There was a car accident back in January 2013 that I happened to witness while I was driving, so I gave my account to the police officers.
But today, August 2013, I received a claim saying I'm being sued for about $18,000 for this very accident.
Why am I being sued? Is the defendant just looking for a quick buck or was there something lost in translation?
I tried contacting my insurance but since it is Sunday, they are not open.
Wouldn't the police reports or stoplight cameras be enough proof that I wasn't even part of the accident?
I'm really uneasy even though I feel like I shouldn't be

Anyway may sue; however, to prevail the other party (you) would need to have (some) fault. Perhaps an honest error. Your insurance company will take care of this. Alert them tomorrow. Most carriers have 24/7 clams reporting.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

You did the right thing by contacting your insurance company. Call them again Monday. You have nothing to worry about if you have insurance and if you were just a witness to the crash.

Some mix up likely. You didn't wave a car on did you? That could create liability. Your insurance company will resolve it.

Probably a mistake. Let your insurance claims adjuster investigate & handle the matter. Call them again Monday morning.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

You did not say what you witnessed. Maybe you were involved more than you think or want to let on. You do not have to be part of the collision to be at fault for an accident.

If you had car insurance in effect at the time of the accident, you should be fine. They will handle it. If a lawsuit has been filed against you, your insurance company will hire a lawyer for you, at no cost to you. You need to cooperate with your insurance company. If you get anything sent to you in the mail or served upon you personally, keep a copy for yourself and forward the original to the insurance company.

This answer is for general education purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is it intended to provide legal advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.