I'm being sued for a car accident I wasn't a part of but did witness

Asked 11 months ago - Phoenix, AZ

There was a car accident back in January 2013 that I happened to witness while I was driving, so I gave my account to the police officers.
But today, August 2013, I received a claim saying I'm being sued for about $18,000 for this very accident.
Why am I being sued? Is the defendant just looking for a quick buck or was there something lost in translation?
I tried contacting my insurance but since it is Sunday, they are not open.
Wouldn't the police reports or stoplight cameras be enough proof that I wasn't even part of the accident?
I'm really uneasy even though I feel like I shouldn't be

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

10

1

Answered . Anyway may sue; however, to prevail the other party (you) would need to have (some) fault. Perhaps an honest error. Your insurance company will take care of this. Alert them tomorrow. Most carriers have 24/7 clams reporting.

Pro

10

1

Answered . Some mix up likely. You didn't wave a car on did you? That could create liability. Your insurance company will resolve it.

3. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

9

1

Answered . You did the right thing by contacting your insurance company. Call them again Monday. You have nothing to worry about if you have insurance and if you were just a witness to the crash.

4. Michael R Crosner

7

1

Answered . Probably a mistake. Let your insurance claims adjuster investigate & handle the matter. Call them again Monday morning.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

5

Answered . You did not say what you witnessed. Maybe you were involved more than you think or want to let on. You do not have to be part of the collision to be at fault for an accident.

6. Bruce M Squire

2

Answered . If you had car insurance in effect at the time of the accident, you should be fine. They will handle it. If a lawsuit has been filed against you, your insurance company will hire a lawyer for you, at no cost to you. You need to cooperate with your insurance company. If you get anything sent to you in the mail or served upon you personally, keep a copy for yourself and forward the original to the insurance company.