Skip to main content

I'm being sued for a car accident-- can I lose my house, car, wages, etc?

Huntington, WV |

I was in a very minor fender bender last year which resulted in no damage to the other party's vehicle. My accident was reported to my insurance company, everything seemed fine, but I am now in talks with them again, as I just found out I'm being sued for personal injury. The claimant is calling for more than my policy limit (according to the papers I was served).

My insurance company assured me they'll do all that they can to keep this from going to trial, but I'm so worried.

If the claimant doesn't accept my policy limit, and takes this to trial, what repercussions will I face? I bought a house only a month ago (and have virtually no equity in it), have a car I that I still owe much on, and have no money in savings. Am I at risk of losing anything (even wages)? Will they likely settle?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Your insurance company will resolve it, so don't lose sleep over a minor accident.

  2. If things are as you say they are, do not worry. Let your insurance company take care of it. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  3. It is extremely unlikely that a minor accident would generate damages that exceed your coverage.
    Cooperate with the insurance company and any counsel they engage on your behalf. other than that, unless it actually proceeds to trial, your role will be quite limited.

  4. This is one of the few instances where your insurance company's interests are similar to yours. They do not want an excess verdict either.

  5. It is extremely unlikely that they will pursue anything other than your policy limits.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics