I'm being sued by my ex-divorce attorney for $10K in fees and defamation of character what can I do to stop these suits?

Asked over 4 years ago - Dallas, TX

After more than two and a half months with no contract, bill or redo on the only thing he did on my divorce (an answer and a counterpetition), my lawyer got huffy when I asked in writing for correction of these difficiencies. He called with a lot of passion about deserving 1/3 of my share of the marital estate and threatened to withdraw if I didn't straighten up. He also included a bill to date of $10K. I fired him and didn't reinstate the $5k he had already drawn from my credit card. He is now intervening in my divorce case and leading me through hell with demands for production and depositions. In my divorce case he didn't manage to do any of this. He has promised to file a defamation case against me based on my grievance to the state bar if I don't give him over $5k by Monday.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . A complaint to the bar association is quite likely a privileged communication, and can not be the successful basis of a defamation action. You'll probably have to hire an attorney to deal with the situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,802 answers this week

2,727 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,802 answers this week

2,727 attorneys answering