I'm being sued but have no job and no money. What will happen?

Jackson, MI |

I have an unpaid credit card, and it was sent to an attorney. I am now being sued for over $3800. I just graduated college and have no income whatsoever. Also, I got a summons, replied with a letter, and now I'm getting this notice that my pretrial conference was cancelled and the attorney is requesting a ruling in their favor. I don't know what to do. I obviously don't have money for a lawyer. What can they do when I go to court?

They will get a judgment against you, which will be good for 10 years (and subject to renewal).

They will win a default judgment and then take steps to enforce it once you start earning a living.

Disclaimer of California Attorney
Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Joshua P. Friedman
jfriedman@jpfassociates.com
www.losangelescollector.com

Disclaimer of California Attorney Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract. Joshua P. Friedman jfriedman@jpfassociates.com www.losangelescollector.com