I'm being sued and have no money to pay for it.

Asked about 3 years ago - Easton, PA

Being sued by ex-land lord for around $8,000 for breaking a lease and late fees.
We have very little money, only one vehicle and we rent where we live. How can they get money from us without any property or money?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . Once he gets a judgment, he can then order a sheriff's sale of all your stuff to pay for it.

    I recommend filing for bankruptcy, which will stay the civil case (and possibly wipe it away).

  2. Answered . You're in a jam for sure. In addition to Attorney Thomas' observation I would add that there are legal aid organizations that provide free legal advice (volunteer attorneys) to those who qualify. An attorney may be able to whittle down the actual debt to something much smaller than $8000--depending on the facts. However, those facts can't be identified until a detailed review of your documents, your statements, and your evidence is undertaken. You need a lawyer for either your defense to the $8K suit or the bankruptcy. For starters, check out http://www.northpennlegal.org/

    I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, answering your query does not create an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,759 answers this week

3,694 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,759 answers this week

3,694 attorneys answering