I'm being charged for theft, 484 pc. I've never been arrested and have a clean record. What do i do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Oxnard, CA

Electronics store security detained me, police showed up. gave me a blue paper and a citation.

1. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

1

Answered . Get an attorney- especially for Ventura County.

Andrew Roberts
    (806) 496-7777

2. Richard Franklin Taub

Pro

Answered . If the amount of the item allegedly stolen was $950 or more, than you may be charged with grand theft. In that case, I would be more concerned. Feel free to read my firm's blog about shoplifting/theft. It may be somewhat enlightening. Either way, hire counsel. www.taubcriminaldefense.com

3. Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

Answered . Alright, you are dealing with a very real issue but not likely a Felony since you were cited and released from the scene.

If the amount was less then $50.00, this matter may never reach the court or may be infracted quickly when at court (meaning the misdemeanor shoplifting may be dropped if you pay a fine). If the amount allegedly stolen was between $50 and $950.00 the Ventura County District Attorney's Office will review the reports and possibly file charges on you. At this point, you need to get an attorney. You may be able to help yourself by having your attorney deal with both the DA office as well as the store alleging the theft prior to this matter ever going to court.

Good Luck with this.