Skip to main content

I'm being charged for theft, 484 pc. I've never been arrested and have a clean record. What do i do?

Oxnard, CA |

Electronics store security detained me, police showed up. gave me a blue paper and a citation.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If the amount of the item allegedly stolen was $950 or more, than you may be charged with grand theft. In that case, I would be more concerned. Feel free to read my firm's blog about shoplifting/theft. It may be somewhat enlightening. Either way, hire counsel.

    The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.

  2. Get an attorney- especially for Ventura County.

    Andrew Roberts
    (806) 496-7777

  3. Alright, you are dealing with a very real issue but not likely a Felony since you were cited and released from the scene.

    If the amount was less then $50.00, this matter may never reach the court or may be infracted quickly when at court (meaning the misdemeanor shoplifting may be dropped if you pay a fine). If the amount allegedly stolen was between $50 and $950.00 the Ventura County District Attorney's Office will review the reports and possibly file charges on you. At this point, you need to get an attorney. You may be able to help yourself by having your attorney deal with both the DA office as well as the store alleging the theft prior to this matter ever going to court.

    Good Luck with this.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics