I m applying for my husband citizenship N400, he has one misdeamemor assault C by contact. Would this effect on his application?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

It happened back in 2008 when he was my fiancé. Now we r happily married and have a Son. What should I write in the N400?

1. Laura Justine Jacobson

4

Answered . This could very well affect his application. One requirement for naturalization is showing good moral character, and USCIS will look into the last five years in particular. You may need to wait until five years have passed since the assault. However, depending on the circumstances of the assault, it might be something that could affect him even after 5 years have passed. Before applying, he should consult with an immigration attorney first who can review all the facts involved.

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

2

Answered . It can impact his application to naturalize. USCIS will conduct a background check and determine his good moral character. If this conviction is a legal preclusion (see INA 101(f)) it would bar the approval of the application. If it is not a per se preclusion, they can still use it to determine he lacks good moral character using the catch all clause in the above noted statute. I highly encourage you to retain experienced immigration counsel.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues ... he needs to consult with an immigration attorney before filing the N-400.