Skip to main content

I'm applying for Deferred Action, but I'm having problems proving I came here before turning 16 years old.

Santa Cruz, CA |
Filed under: Deferred action

Can I use pictures of myself with American landmarks behind me to show I was here before turning 16 years old? That's all I have to proof I currently have to show I came here when I was 15 years old. The pictures have dates. So they clearly show they were taken when I was 15 years old.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I recommend you use an attorney on this who can take a look at the overall strength of your case and suggest creative ways to prove this element.

    This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

  2. Here's the problem. Unless you are holding up a newspaper and your birth certificate in the photo ... only you know that you were less than 16 in the photos.

    Sure, you can use them. But, I would NOT base an application on that kind of 'proof' alone.

    Meet with an attorney.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. Did you attend school? Talk with an attorney. S/he will assist you in determining how to prove presence prior to age 16.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics