Skip to main content

I'm an unwed new mother an live with my boyfriend/ father of my son I want to move out of state, can he provent me from leaving

Evergreen Park, IL |

The father is a police officer an I don't work. I moved here to be with him 14 months ago an he won't let me work. Everytime we fight since I had our son a month ago he tells me he will get my rights taking away so I can't take our son out of state. I'm orignally from Michigan an want to move back there with my son. He don't take me an my son anywhere we stay inside all day an night unless to go to the doctors. What can't I do to keep my son and move back home to Michigan

Attorney Answers 2

  1. The father cannot take your rights away but he can prevent you from moving your child out of state. You can move - just not the child. This is assuming the father is legally as well as biologically the father. Did he sign the Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity? Is his name on the birth certificate? If so, he has legal rights as well as responsibilities.

  2. you should consult with a lawyer in person about this. if this man is legally the dad, you cannot take the child permanently out of illinois without his permisssion or a court order permitting it.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics