Skip to main content

I'm an immigrant residing in ca. For 4 years now had a speeding ticket on October and police wrote me another fix it ticket .

Fair Oaks, CA |
Filed under: Fix-it tickets

The police officer made me sign a ticket and had me misleaded this is about not having my recent address updated in my drivers license, he said that I could do it at anytime online and just have an officer sign it anywhere and it wasn't a big deal and told me not to worry about it.. Didn't tell me there was an expiration date and emphasized more on the speeding violation he was trying to pin me on, I told him how my car was broken and too old and wasn't capable of over speeding, anyway he told me my ticket will come in my mail so he got my new address. I waited for months and nothing came until today I got a letter in the mail stating that they have issued an arrest warrant because I didn't changed my address yet. I want to contest it and refuse to pay bail of $741 can I go to jail?...

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Not an immigration question.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. You need to contact a traffic lawyer. Depending on the Court, the Officer and the citation, it can be handled. Is your address current with the DMV? If not, get it current. Contact us we will happily provide you a free consultation.
    Officers write whatever address is on your physical drivers license. They do not care if the DMV gave you the little card for the back of your license, it is always what is on the front they will use. Never count on getting a notice from the court. IT is called a Courtesy Notice and it is not required. Officers often tell people what you were told. It is not accurate. Get yourself to the Courthouse in which the ticket was issued, get a copy of the ticket and the docket and get ahold of us.

  3. You need an attorney for this one. There is a hold on your license for failing to deal with citation. This must be lifted and a court date obtained to contest ticket. You are obligated to notify DMV of any change in your address. Courtesy notices are not required. Get a traffic ticket attorney and fight this.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics