I'm an immigrant residing in ca. For 4 years now had a speeding ticket on October and police wrote me another fix it ticket .

Asked over 1 year ago - Fair Oaks, CA

The police officer made me sign a ticket and had me misleaded this is about not having my recent address updated in my drivers license, he said that I could do it at anytime online and just have an officer sign it anywhere and it wasn't a big deal and told me not to worry about it.. Didn't tell me there was an expiration date and emphasized more on the speeding violation he was trying to pin me on, I told him how my car was broken and too old and wasn't capable of over speeding, anyway he told me my ticket will come in my mail so he got my new address. I waited for months and nothing came until today I got a letter in the mail stating that they have issued an arrest warrant because I didn't changed my address yet. I want to contest it and refuse to pay bail of $741 can I go to jail?...

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

1

Answered . Not an immigration question.

2. Linda A Iannelli

Pro

2

Answered . You need to contact a traffic lawyer. Depending on the Court, the Officer and the citation, it can be handled. Is your address current with the DMV? If not, get it current. Contact us we will happily provide you a free consultation.
    Officers write whatever address is on your physical drivers license. They do not care if the DMV gave you the little card for the back of your license, it is always what is on the front they will use. Never count on getting a notice from the court. IT is called a Courtesy Notice and it is not required. Officers often tell people what you were told. It is not accurate. Get yourself to the Courthouse in which the ticket was issued, get a copy of the ticket and the docket and get ahold of us.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

1

Answered . You need an attorney for this one. There is a hold on your license for failing to deal with citation. This must be lifted and a court date obtained to contest ticket. You are obligated to notify DMV of any change in your address. Courtesy notices are not required. Get a traffic ticket attorney and fight this.