I'm an f1 visa student and ive heard obama has passed a law saying he would give green cards.. is this true?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Renton, WA

my mother told me that obama has passed a law saying that he would give international students who's been living here before the age of 16years would be eligible for a 6 year term green card. is this true?

1. Andre R. Olivie

1

Best Answer

Answered . I have heard of no such law being considered. A similar bill called the Dream Act, is working its way through congress, slowly. This bill would (if it were passed) grant a legal status to those individuals who are currently out of status, who came to the U.S. as minors, have finished highschool, and plan to go to college or the military. This bill has been proposed every year since 2003 and has never passed. Usually, if something is too good to be true, it's probably not true.

You may be able to find another way to get a green card.

Andre Olivie
    Seattle Immigration Lawyer
    www.olivielaw.com

2. David J Cougle

Answered . No. Obama also promised people magic ponies and free money. No one has received those things either.

There may be another way for you to get a green card, but you'd have to give more information about yourself.

--
    The answer given here should be considered general in nature and should not be considered legal advice, or that there has been an attorney-client relationship established. It is always suggested to retain the counsel of a lawyer for legal advice specific to your situation.

3. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

Answered . We are all waiting for the new law.
    While you are waiting you might wish to explore other avenues, it is worth contacting an immigration lawyer to discuss a way forward for you.