Skip to main content

I'm an exchange student from Italy, I'm 17. My host parents agree to adopt me how can i do?

Los Banos, CA |
Filed under: Family law Adoption

I'm an exchange student from Italy, I'm 17 and in May I will turn 18. My host parents agree to adopt me but my real parents do not agree. How can I be adopted without need my real parents agreement?

Attorney Answers 3


You need to work with a family law attorney in your area. More facts are needed. However, please bear in mind that even if there may be the possibility (or not) that you may be adopted under California law, your parents may have also some recourse under Italian law. My suggestion is also to consult with a family law attorney in Italy. Good luck.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You may have problems with terminating your parents' rights. But, even if you succeed, if you are hoping to get US citizenship, that won't happen because you are over 16 years old. Good luck!

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


This really does not sound very practical. You will need to consult with an attorney and explain the intent of the adoption and the full circumstances why you consider this a good plan for you.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics