Skip to main content

I'm an army wife of 5 1/2 months. My husband has an abusive personality & wants an annulment.

Plant City, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

I'm an army wife of 5 1/2 months. A few weeks ago we got into an argument, I packed my things to move back to my home in fl (was living with him in ga where he is stationed... using our BAH) he didn't want me to move out, got upset & started breaking my things. Long story short I left with a black eye & a ton of bruises induced by him. My question is can we get an annulment or do we have to get an annulment/ divorce? I would like to work things out eg: through some type of counciling etc. I would also like to get him help, he is addicted to oxycodone. Thank you for your time.

What happens in a situation where one party wants a divorce & the other does not?

Attorney Answers 2


First, let me begin by saying I am happy you were strong enough to leave an abusive situation. If you decide you want to seek and annulment or divorce, you should know that in Florida one of the parties, either you or your husband, must be a resident of the State of Florida for six months before filing. In addition, annulments are granted in very narrow situations and it is likely you will have to file for divorce if that is the route you choose to take.

Juna M. Pulayya
Attorney at Law

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If you consumated the marriage (had sex after the marriage) you have to get a divorce. A lot easier to just get a divorce.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics