I'm an American involved in a sham green card marriage and decided to back out before the interview. Could I be punished?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I realized how stupid of a decision I've made entering a sham marriage. I decided I'm not going to the interview, which is in a week. The International is threatening to go to the interview alone and reveal that it was a fraud. I believe this to be an empty threat as it would cause more problems for this person than if they were to just leave on their own terms, but this person is being irrational and a bit of a loose cannon since I broke the news to them. I read in another post here that if I file for divorce and do not go to the interview that I should be fine. Is this true?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

11

2

Best Answer

Answered . What I suggest that you do in this instance is to hire an immigration attorney, have him/her dictate to you a letter addressed to USCIS in which you are WITHDRAWING your Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative (don't give any reason), effective immediately, and have your attorney appear at the interview in your place & have him hand out that letter to the interviewing officer. That will immediately close the case. There will be no questions asked and you'll be immediately off the hook. (I've been in this situation many times over my 19 years of practice, don't worry, it'll be OKAY.)

2. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Pro

8

Answered . All depends on a number if factors, but hopefully you will be ok. Best to discuss with an attorney.

3. Raphael Samuel Moore

7

Answered . Talk with a local attorney.

4. Chong Hae Ye

Pro

7

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Speak with an immigration attorney, have him draft a letter to the USCIS.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.