I'm a victim in a DV case and don't want to testify does the Marcy law apply in the state of Minnesota

Asked over 1 year ago - Rochester, MN

Tex
t dry and simple had a domestic violence case with my boyfriend and well I'm recanting my statement and I wish not to prosecute but since its at it in hansed felony level the state prosecution is ignoring my wishes um trying to get the Danko off but nobody will listen to what I want help me

1. Landon J Ascheman

Pro

4

Answered . If you are talking about the California "Victims' Bill of Rights Act of 2008: Marsy's Law," no, it does not apply to the State of Minnesota. However, Minnesota does have some similar provisions for victims of Domestic Violence. I would note, none of those rights give a victim the power to drop criminal charges or to avoid being forced to testify.

You may be able to speak to an attorney for yourself and see if anything can be done in your case, otherwise, all you can do is inform the prosecutor and victim advocate that you want nothing to do with the charges. They don't have to listen to you, but hopefully they will.

2. Christian Ryan Peterson

3

Answered . Once of the best ways to have your voice heard about these charges is to make sure that your boyfriend is represented by an attorney. The attorney can coordinate any statements you make and wishes you have with their defense of the case. Often I use those things to obtain favorable results for my clients. You can call me to discuss the case further at 612-223-7286