I'm a Veteran in need an Attorney to help me with claims, appeals, and the V/A Debt Management taking my Disability money.

Asked over 2 years ago - Cairo, NY

I'm a 40 % Service connected Disabled Veteran age 69, with my home in foreclosure. V/A Debt Management has created a Terrible hardship on me Illegally taking 66% of my Monthly Disability check. I'm 30% rated for PTSD and am being denied mental health services. If I had legal help I know I could be Rated100% Disabled. Thank You for any help.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Robert A. Stumpf

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would like to be able to help you, I'm not sure if I could, but feel free to email me if you like: robstumpfesq@gmail.com

  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Recommend you contact a military attorney in your area and have a chat. That atty will need to see your award letter, documents from VA and any documents substantiating yoru claim that your monthly disability is not what it should be.

    You can use the avvo.com search option, contact your local county bar association, or your state bar for a referral to a Military Attorney who handles appeals. VA Appeals info can be found at http://www.bva.va.gov/ and a website that has lots of attys who practice within the VA system (not all of them, but many) is at http://www.nvlsp.org/ or http://www.vetadvocates.com/

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  3. Robert Bruce Goss

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . This is a VA issue, not a Military Law issue.

    There are numerous VA attorney's in NY.

    There are several ways to appeal the Debt Management issue, which normally gets involved when a Veteran receives payment under a VA pension, or fails to notify the VA that he is not in school, but continues to receive Payments for attending school.

    Before the debt management group gets involved, the VA will send you numerous, or at least several, letters of intent to collect the debt. The good news for you is that you can still go back to the VA and point to the hardships that this is created.

    Regarding being 100% disabled under PTSD, you are going to need current documentation of your mental health issues, showing a severe GAF score. 100% disabled under PTSD is stating that you are 100% occupationally and socially impaired.

    You need a very good VA attorney. You are also going to need an active appeal. I also recommend you contarct the Pro Bono Consortium, or NVLSP, Both out of Washington, DC.

  4. Deanne L. Bonner Simpson

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . My primary area of practice is VA benefits. I would be happy to consult with you to determine if I may be able to assit you with your claim. Please feel free to call my office at 313-596-9500, or toll free at 888-4VET-LAW (888-483-8529).

    Thank you.

    Disclaimer: Transmission or receipt of information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,131 answers this week

2,865 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,131 answers this week

2,865 attorneys answering