I'm a US Citizen and my husband is in the US as an illegal immigrant.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hillsboro, OR

I want to get him legalized here in the US but he had a misdemeanor for a domestic violence issue that we had back in 2003 and was arrested, but it was dismissed from all charges upon completing a program proceeding DVDS Sentencing in 2004. He came to the U.S. back in Jan, 2002 and was stopped by immigration officers in Sonora for the night. The next day he entered and has never left the US, we have 4 children and I'm currently Unemployed. What can i do? Will the fact that I'm receiving Food Stamps effect as well?

Thanks you all for your Information it has been very helpfull.
Just one more thing, will this case still be difficult even if the all the charges and arrest get expunged?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . I hear you and understand your plight. But you must understand that your husband's is a very, very complex case. It will never be resolved without the expert analysis and guidance of a reputable immigration attorney in your area. It is unfortunately not the Legal Aid Society or Catholic Charities which will be able to assit you with this. Still, I would try them and see what they have to suggest.

2. Jennifer Lynn Bennett

4

Best Answer

Answered . Your case is an extremely complex one. I strongly encourage you to contact an experienced immigration attorney. With additional information, an experienced immigration attorney can help you to figure out the best plan for your situation. It certainly would not hurt to contact a pro bono attorney or legal aid agency to see if they can assist you--however, do not be surprised if they are not able to assist you since your case is a difficult one. Also, you may need to work with both an immigration and criminal attorney. Although I understand you may not have substantial funds to pay an attorney to assist you, the cost of making the wrong move in your case could have substantial consequences. An experienced immigration attorney anywhere in the US would be able to assist you. Best of luck!

3. Tsirina Goroshit

5

1

Answered . It is essential to have a detailed evaluation of your case. Try to get a pro bono attorney in your area.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

3

1

Answered . This is a tough case and, like Mr. Behar stated, you probably won't get free legal advice from any of the agencies in the Portland area ... but you can try. Start with Immigration Counseling Service ... they're in the book.

___________________________________________________________
    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW
    franco@capriotti.com -- 1-503-803-0055 -- www.capriotti.com
    SKYPE MULTI-PARTY VIDEO AVAILABLE

5. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Yes it is complicated even if the charges are expunged, but that will help.

If you cannot get a probono attorney, many of us, including myself, offer payment plans.

Good Luck.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com