I'm a US citizen, would like to file a petition for my wife who voluntarily went back home to our country due to illegal status

Asked about 5 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

she arrived here in 1995 as a crew member and jump ship. we are aware that there is a different immigration laws in this case. but still had decided in 2004 to go back home and served penalty voluntarily. it's going to be 5 years from now since she's away. is it already a right time to file a petition in behalf of her without compromising further her status

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Charles H Kuck


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . She still has 5 years left on her 10 year bar. So, she would still need a waiver. A waiver OUTSIDE of Mexico is very hard to obtain, likely less than 10% chance in most cases. Do you believe you can show EXTREME hardship to process the waiver for her now?

    Best regards,
    Charles H. Kuck
    Managing Partner
    Kuck Immigration Partners LLC--The Immigration Law Firm
    8010 Roswell Road, Suite 300
    Atlanta, GA 30350
    Phone: 404/816-8611
    Fax: 404/816-8615
    Direct Dial: 404/949-8154 Toll Free: 1-866-286-6200
    Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ckuck or www.twitter.com/immman
    Join me on Linkedin.com at http://www.linkedin.com/in/charleskuck
    Join us on www.Facebook.com — Search within Facebook for “Kuck Immigration Group LLC”
    Sign up for our podcasts on www.itunes.com -- Search “The Immigration Hour”
    Read our blog at www.immigration.net/blog

    Solutions for Your Immigration Problems
    With additional offices in Charlotte, North Carolina, Orlando, Florida, and Gainesville and Dalton, Georgia.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,104 answers this week

2,644 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,104 answers this week

2,644 attorneys answering