Skip to main content

I'm a US citizen. My husband is a permanent US resident. He went to Honduras in November 2012 for vacation & at the same time

Brooklyn, NY |

get his birth certificate replaced because he lost the original and get his permanent passport to return to the US. Information that is needed for the birth certificate is slowly being gathered by a lawyer. Both parents have passed away. His ticket expires November 13, 2013 and if his stay goes over that he has another problem - getting permission to enter the US because he's been out for a year. Help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your husband should go to the US Embassy and request a boarding letter so that he can return as a lawful permanent resident in time.


Your husband needs to apply for Advance Parole in order to allow him to return to the United States. You should have an immigration lawyer assisting him.

Follow Gintare Grigaite, Esq. on Facebook (search for Gintare Grigaite, Esq.). Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


He could apply for a returning resident SB-1 visa at the U.S. consulate, but he would have to prove that he was outside of the U.S. because of circumstances beyond his control and did not abandon his permanent residence in the U.S.

This email is for general information purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


He should contact the U.S. consulate there. It's worth consulting an immigration lawyer. Doing so can only help matters. A consultation fee is never wasted.

The Murray Law Firm
50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
T: (201)875-2600
Facebook: (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer