I'm a UK based business owner who already has US clients. What would be the best route for US immigration?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I've looked at L1 visa and it looks like the best option but given its subjective nature I'm wondering if this stacks up for a small business like ours. Would I need to go to the US and set up the business before applying? Would it be better to start taking US client payments to US company before application?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dana Howard Shultz

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I have helped dozens of foreign clients in situations such as yours. (I'm a business lawyer; a colleague takes care of immigration / work visa matters.)

    The L-1 visa is, indeed, the one I've seen used most often in such circumstances. (For investors with a lot of money, the E-2 visa can be attractive.) Please see the post at the link below.

    As concerns the sequence in which steps should be taken, ask your immigration lawyer.

    This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What type of business. This is much to vague to answer on this forum
    Have you looked into E visas
    www.immigrate2usa.com for more info

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague ... you should share more information with an attorney in private.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,894 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,894 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering