I'm a UK based business owner who already has US clients. What would be the best route for US immigration?

I've looked at L1 visa and it looks like the best option but given its subjective nature I'm wondering if this stacks up for a small business like ours. Would I need to go to the US and set up the business before applying? Would it be better to start taking US client payments to US company before application?

What type of business. This is much to vague to answer on this forum
Have you looked into E visas for more info

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Small business. IT research consultancy with US clients (Visa, MTV, Verizon, Citibank). I have looked at E Visas and assuming $200k is a minimum on E2, then it's possible although I'd like to explore the L1 visa as it seems no investment figures are stated and therefore the setup more flexible.

I agree with my colleague ... you should share more information with an attorney in private.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

I have helped dozens of foreign clients in situations such as yours. (I'm a business lawyer; a colleague takes care of immigration / work visa matters.)

The L-1 visa is, indeed, the one I've seen used most often in such circumstances. (For investors with a lot of money, the E-2 visa can be attractive.) Please see the post at the link below.

As concerns the sequence in which steps should be taken, ask your immigration lawyer.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Employment