I'm a U.S. citizen, my mother is not. Can I file an immigrant visa petition for her even though she gave up custody? I'm 21yrs/o

Asked 6 months ago - New York, NY

We are from the Caribbean. She gave up her custody to my uncle (a U.S. citizen) after my father passed when I was a child so that I could become a U.S. citizen (I don't think she fully understood the legal severity of this). Despite giving up custody to my uncle, my mother moved to the U.S and was able to find a job and raise me. My uncle did not play that much of a role other than the fact that he helped give me citizenship. It's really hard for me to settle with the fact that she is my mother, raised me like a mother but "legally" she is not. Now that I am an adult, are there any steps that I can take to help her regain the custody she gave up so that I can sponsor her? We both have never gotten into any trouble with the law.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

8

1

Answered . As long as you were not officially adopted, yes.

2. Karin Wolman

Pro

7

Answered . You really need to consult with an attorney in person about this, with all of your documents, because if your uncle sponsored you for residence as his "child" then your mother did not just give up custody, but may have also terminated her parental rights so that you could be sponsored by your uncle, and if her parental rights were legally terminated so that you could obtain residence through someone else then you CANNOT file a petition for her.

3. Ajay Singh

2

Answered . Well I think you can sponsor your biological mother; however, given the facts and circumstances I highly recommend that you seek proper professional consultation on the issue because immigration laws regarding custody and adoption are very complex.
    Best wishes,

4. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes. You will have to prove that she is your mother, but you can file a relative petition on her behalf.