Skip to main content

I'm a Sex offender Age 16 sex with a minor. Would I have to register in Indiana?

San Jose, CA |

I'm a sex offender in California. My charge was sex with a minor. My "victim's" age was 16. Its been almost ten years ago. I'm moving to Indianapolis, Indiana soon. Where the age of consent is 16. So my question is. Would I still be considered a sex offender in the state of Indiana? If 16 is the legal age of consent in the state?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If your conviction happened prior to 1994, you apparently do not need to register. See the below link:

  2. You need to pose this question for an attorney in Indiana. However, your conviction that occurred ten years ago, was the cause of your registration. So your moving to another state with lower age of consent does not change the nature of your previous conviction and/or the consequence.

  3. I would seek a direct consultation with an Indiana attorney to get a definitive opinion, because failure to register is a new crime and you don't want to get it wrong. Here's one resource that might help:

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia