I'm a self employed private chef with a long and reputable history.My clients are lying about me professionally,what to do?

Missoula, MT |

I've worked in their home for 7 years

If your reputation is damaged as the result of lies told by another, you have a common law action for defamation. There are two types of defamation. Written defamation is libel and spoken defamation is slander. There are two types of defamation. The worst statements that can be made about someone fall into a category called "per se" which means you would not need to prove damages. Statements that suggest someone is a sex criminal are usually bad enough to warrant per se treatment. Statements that are profession-specific are generally considered "per quod" which means you would need to prove actual damages. Once damages are proven, the key is whether or not it is worth hiring a civil attorney.

What you need to do is show how you were damaged by these statements. Specifically, it has to be quantified. If you can do that, you have a civil cause of action against the speaker.

2. What proof do you have that they are lying about you? Are they doing this in writing of telling other people about you? Need more info to advise you.

3. Based on this information alone, it is very difficult to give you any sound advice. You may have a claim for defamation but you should consult with a local attorney to evaluate the strengths of your potential claim. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

4. If the lies are statements of opinion -- whether or not they are explictly identified as such -- about your professional skills or efforts, then the statements are not actionable as defamation.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.