I'm a renter and my house is in foreclosure for being in default since 08/12. Do I still pay my rent?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I signed a rental agreement on 10/1/12 and on 01/29/13 I was served with foreclosure papers stating the house has been in default since 08/01/12. The landlord has not told me anything as of now as far as the foreclosure. Am I still required to pay rent?

1. Jeffrey Alan Klein

Pro

6

Answered . Yes. The landlord-tenant agreement you have with the landlord has nothing to do with the mortgage obligation your landlord owes to his or her bank. As a result, your landlord still retains ownership until his or her interest is extinguished in a foreclosure sale somewhere down the road.

2. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, you should continue to pay the rent.
    The contract between you and the property owner is still valid.

Continue to pay the rent until the lease is up or a Judge states in an Order or Judgment that you must pay someone else.
    Read the lease to see if you have to give written notice that you are not renewing the lease.

Good luck!

3. Cristina Maria Pelaez

3

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Graham and would like to add that if you live in a community with a homeowner's association or condominium association, the association has a right to demand that your pay your rent directly to them if your landlord is also behind in monthly maintenance payments owned to the association. Florida law provides condominium associations the right to collect the rent from tenants to pay delinquent assessments that the landlord/owner is not paying. The law also provides you with immunity from your landlord for doing this and also provides the association with the right to evict you if you do not pay up.

Any legal disagreement between your landlord and the association should be argued and decided in court by a judge. If your landlord attempts to take any action against you for complying with the association's demand for payment, you will be able to sue him.

4. Nicholas Attilio Vidoni

Answered . Yes, you should still pay rent. However, there is an argument that the landlord's failure to disclose the default and likely foreclosure constituted a violation of the Florida Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Nevada and other states have law that state as much. This is because the value of a tenancy of a property in foreclosure may be less than the value a property that is not in foreclosure. A renter who is concerned about renting a property in foreclosure should always ask the landlord if there has been a default on the mortgage before signing the lease agreement.