I'm a pro se plaintiff in a personal injury case. What book should I read in order to be able to handle the case on my own?

New York, NY |

Are there any bible books in New York for pro se plaintiffs who handle personal injury cases on their own? Thanks!

Believe it or not, there actually is a "Personal Injury Law for Dummies" by a Herbert Waichman though there is a section on how to retain a personal injury attorney best suited for your case. That's a good section to go over.

This is only an Avvo answer. I am not getting paid to give this response and am basing this response only on the information provided to me in the above question.

2. Retain a lawyer so you don't sabotage your good claim.

3. Never a good idea to represent yourself, as there are too many pitfalls.

4. You are making a mistake. Check the various on-line legal publishing houses.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

5. Doesn't matter how many books you read if you're facing an attorney before the court--civil procedure, rules of evidence, crosss and direct requires years of study, annual CLE's, week long seminars, and years of slowly building up skill sets---if you could just read a book, we'd all skip law school and the bar exam and the years of training. Don't blow your one shot at least consult with an attorney.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

6. LSAT prep book, three years of law school books, bar review class and books, and years of experience. In short get a lawyer to represent you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

7. Mr. Daniel's answer is the BEST ANSWER since you are not asking for advice on the wisdom of not having a lawyer, but how to attempt representing yourself. Keep in mind that if you go to suit, you will be held to the same standard as a licensed lawyer. Then again, in my experience in NY Supreme Court, the pro se unit allows a party to ignore most things, so who knows.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.