I'm a pro se plaintiff in a personal injury case. What book should I read in order to be able to handle the case on my own?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

Are there any bible books in New York for pro se plaintiffs who handle personal injury cases on their own? Thanks!

1. John Arthur Daniels

4

Best Answer

Answered . Believe it or not, there actually is a "Personal Injury Law for Dummies" by a Herbert Waichman though there is a section on how to retain a personal injury attorney best suited for your case. That's a good section to go over.

Pro

6

Answered . Never a good idea to represent yourself, as there are too many pitfalls.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . You are making a mistake. Check the various on-line legal publishing houses.

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . LSAT prep book, three years of law school books, bar review class and books, and years of experience. In short get a lawyer to represent you.

5. Marco Caviglia

Pro

2

1

Answered . Mr. Daniel's answer is the BEST ANSWER since you are not asking for advice on the wisdom of not having a lawyer, but how to attempt representing yourself. Keep in mind that if you go to suit, you will be held to the same standard as a licensed lawyer. Then again, in my experience in NY Supreme Court, the pro se unit allows a party to ignore most things, so who knows.

6. Tatiana Kadetskaya

4

Answered . Retain a lawyer so you don't sabotage your good claim.

7. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

Answered . Doesn't matter how many books you read if you're facing an attorney before the court--civil procedure, rules of evidence, crosss and direct requires years of study, annual CLE's, week long seminars, and years of slowly building up skill sets---if you could just read a book, we'd all skip law school and the bar exam and the years of training. Don't blow your one shot at least consult with an attorney.