I'm a non resident can I collect my unemployment in Florida?

Miami Beach, FL |

I have worked for 3yrs with an expired work permit am also a Union iron worker I have file taxes.I just got married and I'm in the process of getting my residens.I have done the biometrics and I'm waiting on my card. I just got laid off with a letter of separation because of lack of work.can I collect on my unemployement and will this affect my present immigration process or the companies I worked for? Thank you.

1. I can answer this question from a constitutional perspective. Unemployment compensation is generally recognized as constituting a federally-granted privilege. Even as a non-resident, the State of Florida is unable to discriminate against you because of your non-residency. There are two cases that support such an interpretation -- Shapiro v. Thompson (1969), and Saenz v. Roe (1995/6). The State of Florida cannot discriminate in favor of residents or non-residents.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.