I'm a massage therapist and I feel that since I've been pregnant, my job hasn't been too happy about it. What are my rights?

Baldwin, NY |
Filed under: Employee rights

Management hasn't flat out told me they have a problem with me being pregnant, but their remarks have. There are two managers. One of them complained to my co-worker about me needing more breaks between people instead of coming to me about her concern. The other manager made me feel so horrible that I couldn't accommodate a client that ran late b/c it would of given me more clients then I could handle in a row. Both managers know my limitations at this point in my pregnancy and I have told them both early on in my pregnancy that the time will come where I'll start slowing down. I've asked management several times to get another massage therapist to help relieve some of the work load, but they have not yet done so and I'm currently 6 months pregnant.

1. Certainly I would recommend putting your concerns in writing to your supervisors. This will protect you against retaliation. If your coworkers and supervisors change their tunes and start to act appropriately, then, great, problem solved. If not, and things continue to get worse, you will have stronger proof of retaliation. Best of Luck.

Ryan M. Finn
    rfinn@hackermurphy.com
    Serving Clients Throughout New York State
    Free Initial Consultation

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * Rfinn@hackermurphy.com * http://www.hackermurphy.com/Attorneys/Ryan-M-Finn.shtml * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

2. You should raise this issue with HR, but you should absolutely speak with an employment attorney before doing so. An experienced employment attorney will be able to help you through the process and protect your employment rights as pregnancy discrimination (if it is indeed occurring) is unlawful.

3. It appears that they are aware of their legal obligations, even if they only reluctantly comply. You can get more info online from the NYS Division of Human Rights. But if the intimidation gets worse, you should consider consulting an employment attorney.

4. Once your baby is born, be aware that there is a federal law called the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). This law requires employers to allow mothers of newborns 12 weeks of protected unpaid leave. However, in order for this law to apply, the employer must employ at least 50 people and the employee must have worked there for at least 1 year.