Skip to main content

I'm a male, divorced in Wisconsin. My ex-wife is paying me monthly support. If I remarry payments stop per the divorce decree.

Delafield, WI |

Will the court notify her if I do get remarried or is it my responsibility to inform her?

Attorney Answers 4


The court will not monitor your marriage status. You will need to tell your ex-wife if you get married again. What will happen if you remarry, don't tell her and continue to accept payments, she will find out eventually and file a contempt action against you. In that lawsuit she will ask the court to order you repay any amounts made to you after you were married. In contempt action, it's possible you could be sent to jail as a coercion to pay up. It's in your best interests to let your ex-wife know if and when you get re-married.

DISCLAIMER: The following language is required pursuant to Rule 7.2, Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct: No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of the legal services performed by other lawyers. Any information contained herein is intended for general informational purposes only. The information should not be construed as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any response given does not result in any further obligation to provide an additional response. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


Neither but ex wives always find out.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


The court won't do it but you should.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


The court will not notify her. You should do the courtesy of notifying the court and her.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics