I'm a legal International student visa. My parents sponsor me for education. I'm getting married with my US citizen fiance.

Asked over 1 year ago - Bothell, WA

He's currently living with his brother whom makes a lot of money from his work place.
My fiance goes to school and only work part time.
we are trying to rent our own apartment but since we dont have enough credit, probably landlord wont rent the room for us.
I rent a room in a house. I tried to talk to landlord to see if my fiance can move in with us, but based on the lease, only one person per room.
and her brother doesn't like me at all for no reason. so he wont let us live in his house.
so my question is when we get married and file Adjustment of status, can we not live together for few months?
we both are looking for full time jobs now.
I have OPT work permit but i havent found a job yet.

we have dated and known each other for years, we have no problem prove our relationship

1. Lisa Ellen Seifert

Pro

13

Answered . It sounds like you should focus on your studies this spring, and your fiance should find a job. He has to be your petitioner and financial sponsor. You can apply for adjustment of status after you marry... but you must be financially admissible. You should also be living together when you apply, or else immigration will justifiably think the marriage and paperwork is just to do you a favor, and that there is no real marriage. Wait until you are living together, at least. Your case will just be harder (there will be delays, and suspicions about intentions) if you do it when neither of you are working. I would wait until things are more settled. Go and see an attorney to help you get organized. Good luck.

This is general advice, and does not constitute an attorney client relationship.
  2. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with Ms. Seifert, although I have done cases in the past in which the couple wasn't living together. In that situation we must demonstrate the reason they are not living together. It does mean we need lots of other evidence, that it sounds like it will be difficult for you to get. It will cause a delay in the case if you don't show enough evidence, and it will make the case more expensive for attorney fees. You should not even try it without the help of an experienced immigration attorney. Hopefully, you will both find jobs soon, and get your own apartment, then you can proceed.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Focus on your studies. After you get married and your husband has a job, and you have a place to live, then you should petition to adjust status.

4. J Charles Ferrari

9

Answered . Not living together will be a huge red flag in you are in the same geographical area.