I'm a immigrant, can I get married?

My dad bought me to the US when I was 6 years old, I'm 20 with a 5 month old baby boy about to be 21 in a few weeks, my boyfriend wants to marry me, but I'm scared because I don't know the risk, I want to be a resident here with him & our son. Alot of friends say I may get departed like my mother, I need answers please help me

Bronx, NY -

Kristina A. Gasson

Kristina A. Gasson

Immigration Attorney - Medford, MA

You should consult an immigration attorney right away who will advise you of your options. Your best bet towards permanent residence is to marry your U.S. citizen boyfriend as long as you are doing it because you love him (not just for a green card). As long as you don't have a criminal history or past immigration fraud, you will likely not be deported for submitting a green card application.

You may also be eligible for Deferred Action (DACA) if you completed high school or a GED. DACA will NOT give you permanent residence, but will give you a work permit and a stay of deportation and you will not have to get married to stay here.

See my article below for more information:

Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

Immigration Attorney - Hoboken, NJ

It sounds as though you may qualify for DACA. More information is needed in order to answer your question. You can call me if you would like to discuss the matter further. I do not charge for an initial consultation. My number is (201)875-2600. My office is next to the George Washington bridge.

Umit Mike Gursoy

Umit Mike Gursoy

Immigration Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

To put yourself at ease, speak to an immigration lawyer

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

First apply for DACA and then see with an immigration lawyer if you qualify to adjust status in the IS if marry a USC.

Related Advice