I'm a immigrant, can I get married?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

My dad bought me to the US when I was 6 years old, I'm 20 with a 5 month old baby boy about to be 21 in a few weeks, my boyfriend wants to marry me, but I'm scared because I don't know the risk, I want to be a resident here with him & our son. Alot of friends say I may get departed like my mother, I need answers please help me

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should consult an immigration attorney right away who will advise you of your options. Your best bet towards permanent residence is to marry your U.S. citizen boyfriend as long as you are doing it because you love him (not just for a green card). As long as you don't have a criminal history or past immigration fraud, you will likely not be deported for submitting a green card application.

    You may also be eligible for Deferred Action (DACA) if you completed high school or a GED. DACA will NOT give you permanent residence, but will give you a work permit and a stay of deportation and you will not have to get married to stay here.

    See my article below for more information:

    www.gassonlaw.com - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds as though you may qualify for DACA. More information is needed in order to answer your question. You can call me if you would like to discuss the matter further. I do not charge for an initial consultation. My number is (201)875-2600. My office is next to the George Washington bridge.

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . To put yourself at ease, speak to an immigration lawyer

  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First apply for DACA and then see with an immigration lawyer if you qualify to adjust status in the IS if marry a USC.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now