I'm a green card holder for the past four years. I received it through my mother. My husband is here on a visting visa.

Newark, NJ |

We wouldd like to know the steps that we could take for him to live here permanently through green card, adjustment of status or a temporary work permit. What route is the fastest?

1. You would need to naturalize. The F2A category is not current. Speak with an attorney.

This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. I would talk to an immigration attorney to see when you may be eligible to file for US citizenship, how long your husband is permitted to stay on his tourist visa, and other details particular to your case.

3. You can file an immigrant petition, but the priority date is not current so he cannot adjust status at this time in the F2A category.

There are also issues of intent at the time of entry, and the ability to extend visitor status based on the filing of an immigrant petition, as well as benefits of petitioning for a spouse as a U.S. citizen. Consult with an immigration attorney.

ATTN: ATTORNEYS: "YOU ARE AT YOUR VOTING LIMIT FOR THE CALENDAR MONTH" is the popup message from AVVO when pressing the "I agree" button for colleagues' answers since the evening of January 22. Please excuse this temporary breach of etiquette until Avvo gets it sorted out. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter, nor should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

4. If need to know the steps, why not to start by researching those steps first and then, when and if you have questions of general nature, ask those? Visit www.uscis.gov and research the issue first.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

5. It does not seem that any of those are an option based on the facts you've provided. If you can become a citizen, you could sponsor your husband for a green card. However, the fact he is here on a visitor visa while married to you is an issue that needs to be addressed. Speak with an immigration lawyer in your area if this is something you really want to accomplish.

6. Your best course of action would be to obtain your citizenship and then sponsor your husband. You should contact an immigration attorney to represent you in this matter.

This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.