Skip to main content

I'm a former nurse with a revoked license and I want to pursue a degree in health care admin. Any foreseeable problems?

Birmingham, AL |

I surrendered my license after having been reported for practice issues (non-drug related, I have no criminal charges) and I was unable to comply with the Board order. I may hire a lawyer in the future to try to get my license back, but until then I want to find somewhere in health care that I can work. I would like to know if getting a degree in health care administration is an option for me. Thank you for your time and help.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    One issue you would want to address is whether the Office of Inspector General excluded you based on your revocation. That has happened to some people so that would need to be addressed in order to determine your options. As for "foreseeable problems" - it depends on how you address the issue on your revoked license and why it happened, what you learned from it, etc. There are second acts in life so you should be able to recover from it but it is good for you to look forward.

  2. This is really not a legal question. Obviously, the fact that you were an RN and surrendered your license is not going to look so good on your resume.

    Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

  3. I think you are going to have to deal with the revocation of your state license in any job interview that involves healthcare administration. You are in the best position to judge whether the explanation you offer is one which would put off a prospective employer. You might also consider speaking with some of your former colleagues in this area.

  4. A great deal depends on the reason why your license was suspended. If, for example, it was suspended for reasons associated with patient neglect or abuse, there might be a problem when a background check is performed (assuming you will be working in health care.) Many health care providers are very careful to screen out applicants who have such a history.

    I would suggest speaking to an attorney from your state with experience in these matters and asking them.

    I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

Administrative law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics