I'm a Fashion Designer and looking to register my Business. What type of Business: LLC, Sole Proprietorship or Corporation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

My business is home based with no employees. I mainly want to sell online and have Events showcasing my work. what do i have to register it under?

1. Glenn M. Lyon

Answered . While an LLC is most likely the best choice due to its flexible tax treatment and ease of maintenance, you should speak with a local business attorney to determine which entity and tax treatment is best. Most do not charge for this type of consultation.

2. Jeffrey L. Cohen

Answered . If someone came to my office with this type of question, we likely would end up with either an S corporation or an LLC. There is no "best" answer, and what is recommended for you will depend on many factors. Not only will you be registered with the Georgia Secretary of State, but also with the Internal Revenue Service and, for sales tax reasons, the Georgia Department of Revenue. If you do business under a trade name, you will also have to register with your county of residence. You can call our office if you would like to come in and discuss these options.

3. Celia R Reed

1

Answered . You need to consult with an accountant to analyse the tax consequence of each potential entity.

4. John Joseph Westerhaus

Answered . If someone asked you, as a fashion person, whether a particular tie goes with their outfit, you might answer that for free. If someone asked you to design their entire wardrobe from scratch, I think you'd expect to be paid.

This is more like the second than the first. It is a very important question, and one that requires lots of questions on the part of a competent business lawyer to answer.

It is NOT a question that lends itself well to a simple answer on avvo.com, and certainly not one that will (or should!!) be answered for free.