I'm a disabled person with license plates in CA. Am I restricted from parking in the green zone if a blue zone is available?

Asked over 1 year ago - Stockton, CA

I have disabled plates on my car in California. I park at a public train station in the green zone or 30 min time limit. Per my understanding, I thought the law allowed me to park without time limit in the green zone as it states in the documents that accompanies my disabled plates. The train station operation manager threaten to tow my car if I park in the green zone again and wants me to park in the disabled spot. Sometimes the blue spots are not available because other drivers either occupy or block access to those blue spots while they are dropping off their passengers. Is the operation manager allowed to dictate where I can or can't park? Will an attorney take this case if I decide to sue the organization? What would the outcome look like and is it worth fighting this?

I was told that even if the blue spots are fully occupied, I'm still not allowed to park in the green zone unless I go into the office and make arrangements with them. Unfortunately, this is not possible as time will not permit and the train will leave without me.

Before posting this issue on the website, I have emailed the management staffs and the executive director at the train station informing them of the law and even sent them a link to DMV which outline the law in regards to ADA , but regardless, I'm still instructed not to park in the green zone by the front office. Is email sufficient as a form of "notice in writing"? I have also filed a complaint with the ada.complaint@usdoj.gov and will wait for their response.

Can the organization be sued for punitive damages as suing for the right to park or getting equal compensation to recover a towing fee doesn't seem to make financial sense for both myself and the attorney that would be taking this case if an attorney would be interested in the case?

1. Scott Richard Kaufman

Answered . Tough call. Why not have him enforce the rule against dropping off passengers while using the blue zone?

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . The train station manager is wrong.
    According to the DMV website, once you have a valid DP placard, DP plates, or DV plates, you may park:
    In parking spaces with the International Symbol of Access (wheelchair symbol).
    Next to a blue curb authorized for persons with disabilities parking.
    Next to a green curb (green curbs indicate limited time parking) for as long as you wish. There is no time limit with a DP placard, DP license plates, or DV license plates.
    In an on-street metered parking space at no charge.
    In an area that indicates it requires a resident or merchant permit.

I recommend that you go to the DMV website and print out the page showing where you can park and deliver it to the manager. You also should find out who his supervisor is and notify him or her of the problem (best if you do it in writing).
    If you follow these steps, if he ever does tow your car, you will have a very good lawsuit.