I'm a college student doing my first Moot Court mock trial for appeals. Any advice?

New York, NY |

Pretty nervous. The case at hand is State of New Jersey v. T.L.O. (I will represent the appellant T.L.O.)

1. Speak slowly.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Do as many moots as possible ahead of the competition.

Specifically, with regards to your particular case, study the oral argument from the original case. You should expect that the judges will ask similar questions.
    http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1983/1983_83_712

Best of luck!

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. <a href="http://www.LouisLSternbergLaw.com">Please visit us on the web.</a>

3. Know the record. Listen to and Answer the Judge's questions directly. Stay focused.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.