I'm a co-tenet & my roommate is breaking lease/subletting. What rights do I have? How can I demand approval on a new roommate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Salt Lake City, UT

My roommate picked up a few scary addictions & needed to move in w/ family as a part of her rehab. She gave < 2 wks notice & now wants to fill the room asap so she can have prorated rent this month. She is wealthy & $'s a nonissue, she's just an addict & has repeatedly proven she couldn't care less for my wellbeing. So far her options have been desperate & sketchy strangers who I don't feel safe/comfortable having in my house. If I am allowed to choose the roommate, how much time do I have to do it in? (all paid month, 2 weeks, end of lease?) If we both signed the same lease, aren't she & the landlord breaking contract with me?

1. Randall B. Bateman

Pro

Answered . The fact that you all sigbed the lease does not necessarily mean she is breaching a contract with you. You probably want to get any attorney to review the lease. Bit may give you veto power over the new tenant, but it may not. Run ads on your own for a roommate so you have some options.