I'm a Canadian on an L1-B, about to quit my job. I'd like to stay in the US for a month after quitting; can I convert L1 to B2?

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

I will be also be applying for an F1 visa before quitting my job. I'm attending business school this fall, but given timing of job end date and school start date I won't be able to enter US on F1 status until over a month after I quit my job.

Would prefer not to have to leave country immediately after quitting and re-enter shortly after as a visitor to be in US during interim between job end and school start.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Do not apply multiple applications to change to status.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It is extremely hard, in my opinion to receive a COS to a non immigrant tourist/visitor's B-2 visa after an L-1 as their original purposes clash in a way. Also, its application would take several months to process which, upon a denial renders one with a lapsed status.
    You would be better of pursuing a bona fide F-1.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,040 answers this week

3,374 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,040 answers this week

3,374 attorneys answering