I'm a Canadian on an L1-B, about to quit my job. I'd like to stay in the US for a month after quitting; can I convert L1 to B2?

New York, NY |

I will be also be applying for an F1 visa before quitting my job. I'm attending business school this fall, but given timing of job end date and school start date I won't be able to enter US on F1 status until over a month after I quit my job.

Would prefer not to have to leave country immediately after quitting and re-enter shortly after as a visitor to be in US during interim between job end and school start.

1. Do not apply multiple applications to change to status.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.

2. It is extremely hard, in my opinion to receive a COS to a non immigrant tourist/visitor's B-2 visa after an L-1 as their original purposes clash in a way. Also, its application would take several months to process which, upon a denial renders one with a lapsed status.
    You would be better of pursuing a bona fide F-1.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois