I'm a Canadian on an L1-B, about to quit my job. I'd like to stay in the US for a month after quitting; can I convert L1 to B2?

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

I will be also be applying for an F1 visa before quitting my job. I'm attending business school this fall, but given timing of job end date and school start date I won't be able to enter US on F1 status until over a month after I quit my job.

Would prefer not to have to leave country immediately after quitting and re-enter shortly after as a visitor to be in US during interim between job end and school start.

1. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . Do not apply multiple applications to change to status.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . It is extremely hard, in my opinion to receive a COS to a non immigrant tourist/visitor's B-2 visa after an L-1 as their original purposes clash in a way. Also, its application would take several months to process which, upon a denial renders one with a lapsed status.
    You would be better of pursuing a bona fide F-1.