I'm 62 collecting SSI . I am due to inherit money , how can I keep it as I am not employable due to disabilities

and if I do get bounced off SSI the amt of money would last possibly 1 year due to my medical expenses Are there other areas to explore as far as creatively keeping the cash

Lake Ariel, PA -

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

Social Security Lawyers - Twin Falls, ID

In addition to the ides offered by Mr Lutkenhaus, you would benefit from a consultation with an elder law attorney in your area regarding the possibility that a special needs trust will protect your inheritance for you use without disrupting your monthly SSI benefits. With such a trust SSI beneficiaries can enjoy the benefit (though not the ownership) of liquid assets in excess of $2,000.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Social Security Lawyers - Richmond, VA

SSI is welfare disability and is means tested. This normally means you cannot have more than $2,000 in liquid assets. If you do you will be disqualified until that amount is spent for reasonable expenses that lower your asset level below $2,000.00. Perhaps you could spend it down for exempt assets such as one car.

Clifford Michael Farrell

Clifford Michael Farrell

Social Security Lawyers - Columbus, OH

The amountou can have and the amount you can spend are fairly tightly regulated. There are also other effets of the inheritance - losing medical eligibility too, for one example.

Talk to an elder law lawyer. Depending on the amount involved, a special needs trust may help - or declining the inheritance may be a possibility too

Best of luck to you!

Related Advice