I'm 21 am I able to claim my trust fund my grandmothers left me when I was 8.

Asked over 2 years ago - Melbourne, FL

My grandfathers is the trustee of the trust fund my grandmother left me she past away when I was 8 years old and left me her life insurance money. I am 21 now but me and my grandfather are not in speaking terms. He won't tell me anything he spends all morning drinking and then sleeps for the rest of the day and night. What can I do?

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

20

1

Answered . You are entitled to a copy of trust and accounting of assets.
    The trust will outline the timeline of when you will receive your distribution.
    If your grandfather is not following the instructions in trust-you might have a reason to petition
    for his removal as trustee.
    You will need an attorney to assist in getting your distribution and the records you are entitled.

2. Marian Audrey Lindquist

17

Answered . Trusts are contracts. You don't necessarily receive money when you are 21, you receive money when the trust says you do. You need to see the trust to see its terms. As a beneficiary you have the right to have information about the trust and the money in it. If you are not speaking to you grandfather you should hire an attorney to speak for you.

3. L Christopher Arvin

10

Answered . Hire an attorney

4. Daniel Medina

5

Answered . You will need to know if this trust was created under a Last Will and Testament or by a Living Trust. If it was created under a Will the Will is a public document. You can go to the Probate Clerk in the County in which your grandmother died and get a copy of the Will and then determine if the Will controls the Trust. Otherwise, I recommend you consult an attorney to request the Trust disclosures that you are entitled to under the law.