I'm 21 am I able to claim my trust fund my grandmothers left me when I was 8.

Asked over 2 years ago - Melbourne, FL

My grandfathers is the trustee of the trust fund my grandmother left me she past away when I was 8 years old and left me her life insurance money. I am 21 now but me and my grandfather are not in speaking terms. He won't tell me anything he spends all morning drinking and then sleeps for the rest of the day and night. What can I do?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You are entitled to a copy of trust and accounting of assets.
    The trust will outline the timeline of when you will receive your distribution.
    If your grandfather is not following the instructions in trust-you might have a reason to petition
    for his removal as trustee.
    You will need an attorney to assist in getting your distribution and the records you are entitled.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  2. Marian Audrey Lindquist

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Trusts are contracts. You don't necessarily receive money when you are 21, you receive money when the trust says you do. You need to see the trust to see its terms. As a beneficiary you have the right to have information about the trust and the money in it. If you are not speaking to you grandfather you should hire an attorney to speak for you.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be... more
  3. L Christopher Arvin

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire an attorney

  4. Daniel Medina

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need to know if this trust was created under a Last Will and Testament or by a Living Trust. If it was created under a Will the Will is a public document. You can go to the Probate Clerk in the County in which your grandmother died and get a copy of the Will and then determine if the Will controls the Trust. Otherwise, I recommend you consult an attorney to request the Trust disclosures that you are entitled to under the law.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,047 answers this week

3,190 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,047 answers this week

3,190 attorneys answering