I'm 18 years old and I'm wondering if i can bring my dad legally?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Wexford, PA

HI I'm 18 years old and I was born in Pittsburgh and I'm wondering if i can bring my dad back . He was deported in 2009 and 2011 . My dad came to the U . S for us to have a better life . He wanted to live the american dream . I recently got a TBI and I can't work . My dad was the one who paid the bills for my mom and I . My siblings are helping my mom and I with everything they can . I'm the only legal one in my family . What can i do to bring him back legally ? He is sorry for coming to the U . S illegally .

1. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

4

Answered . More information is needed to determine if your father is eligible to return. Whether you can sponsor him largely depends on why he was deported and under what circumstances.

2. William John Vandenberg

Pro

2

Answered . I am really sorry to hear about your TBI. How did it happen? Was it work related?

It is true you need to be 21 to petition for your father to come back. There will likely be complications though if he really did get deported twice.

You'll get a lot of advice of varying degrees of usefulness on line. I understand that you are probably not able to afford much, but there are non-profits who may be able to help. If you ever come to Philadelphia try HIAS or Nationalities Service Center. They may be able to assist you in finding a solution for you and your family, since you have an entire family to be concerned about, not just your father. Are any of your family members eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals?

Good luck,

John

3. Gintare Grigaite

2

Answered . Your dad's case may be very complex, but in order to be able to return to the US, he will need waivers. Whether he will be eligible for a waiver will depend mainly as to why he was deported among other factors. Also, once you reach 21 years of age, you may petition for your father. If possible, I recommend that you meet with an experienced immigration attorney for a consultation, either in person or by phone.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . You must be at least 21 years old to petition a parent.