Skip to main content

I'm 18 but still on youth Probation, and have been on the run for over a month what happens if I make it till 21?

Columbus, OH |

He told me he issued a 50 day warrant for my arrest for not reporting in. Since then he has not tried to text my phone nor come to my moms house or anywhere looking for me. What if he said it to scare me and I got scared like now so then he really put one out for my arrest? I don't drop dirty when I pee and I have been staying out of trouble. What happens if I leave state get a job and send $1,000 to the court before I turn 21 cause that's the only reason why I am still on probation because of restitution money. What happens when I turn 21?

Attorney Answers 3


What will happen will be all on the Judge who is hearing your warrant case. He may take all of the actors into account and not put you in jail. He or she may give you less time. It will all depend in the people involved in the negotiations and presentation of your case and the Judge will have the final say.

As we don't know enough about your case, you should not consider my answer to be legal advice. You would need to consult with an attorney at length and include details about what has occurred in order to adequately assess your criminal exposure. Also, I am licensed in the state of New York only. If this is a federal case, provided more information were given, we could give you a better idea of the sentencing range. If it is state only, you will need an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction to address this.

Mark as helpful


The Juvenile Court only has jurisdiction over a juvenile until he or she reaches the age of majority - 18 years old. If you get in trouble with the Court before then, you can receive a sentence - either in prison or as community control sanctions (probation) that lasts until you are 21 years old. If you wait until you are older than 21 to turn yourself in, you face the likelihood that you will not be able to serve any sanction at a juvenile facility or under the juvenile court supervision. It is more likely that your case would be transferred to adult court, especially if you are picked up on the warrant as the result of a new charge rather than willingly surrendering. Moreover, if you wait to turn yourself in, you will actually hurt the case you are trying to make! The Court will not care that your drops have tested negative or that you pay on your owed fines. The Court will care that you are not complying with the requirements of your supervision. I suggest you contact a local defense attorney and get this sorted out as soon as possible. Don't rest easy on the fact that your PO has not contacted you - it is YOUR responsibility to report to and to contact HIM. Good Luck!

DISCLAIMER: ***Vigorous Criminal Defense in Central Ohio*** ***Criminal Law Resources*** Twitter: @TLOBJ Facebook: Confidential Information should not be shared on the internet. Anonymous posts can be traced back to the original poster. Be careful what you share on this or any other website. I am a criminal defense attorney based in Central Ohio with offices in Delaware and Marion, Ohio. The laws of other states differ from Ohio's laws. I am not permitted to practice in other states without first obtaining special permission. Nothing on this or any other website creates an attorney-client relationship. If something I say differs from that of your current attorney, you should rely on the advice of your attorney. Your attorney knows the unique facts of your case including the court and other attorneys involved. If you doubt your attorney for some reason and wish to seek other counsel, you should do so in person, not over the internet. The internet is often a good place to gather information, but should not be considered a substitute for legal counsel. The information offered in my posts is for educational purposes only.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Running is seldom ever the right thing to do. I suggest getting an attorney who can start working on your case and possibly avoid any detention/jail time and can help get you released from probation. The longer you wait the more you hurt your future chances of expungement.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics