I'm 17 years old and my boyfriend is 19 we live in California & I'm 7 weeks pregnant can he get in troublee?

Fillmore, CA |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

He's going to the military in January, we've been wanting to get married for 7 months already.. Can this marriage through paper work? Or does it have to be an actual church and ceremony?

1. Yes, he can "get in trouble". If you plan to marry, do it now. You do not need a church wedding, but you will need a marriage license, which probably requires parental consent. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

2. Yes he can get in trouble. Go online and research marriage licenses in you county. That will give you the help you need.

3. Yes, have a real wedding ceremony and good luck with the pregnancy and the wedding.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

4. In CA your sexual relationship with your live in boyfriend is a misdemeanor. ( Penal Code 261.5(b)) While it is not likely to be prosecuted, if you get married (a legal marriage) the facts improve and the chances of any criminal actions can be mitigated. The marriage certificate can be applied for at the courthouse and you can have a civil ceremony at that time and plan your church wedding day at your leisure.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy and make sure that you see your doctor regularly!
    Best Wishes.

This information is general and will change according to your facts. While this information may apply to your situation, without more facts I can not encourage you to rely on this information. I am not your attorney. No attorney client relationship exists. You should hire an attorney for your specific business matters.

Marriage and prenups topics