I'm 17, Just got a job on Sat. and I'm becoming aware of the labor law violations. What can I do about this?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I was made to work 9 hours on a Sunday without a break. I never get breaks, according to fellow employees. They also told me that I'd be made to work 10-11 hours without a break. They also don't tell me when I'll be staying until when I come in.

What exactly is being violated here, what can I do about it?

Also, if I get fired for requesting a half hour break/not being yelled at/only working 8 hours a non-school day/4 hours on a school day, can I do something about this?

1. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Until you are 18, you need to get working papers from your counselor at school and give them to your employer. You cannot work more than 8 hours per day. And you cannot work later than 10pm. You are entitled to ask for one half hour lunch break, but are not paid for that half hour. You can file a complaint with the NYS Dept of Labor about any work place violations concerning student employees.

2. Vincent Peter White

Answered . Attorney Foreman is correct.

You may have viable claims, but the value of those claims will be very small unfortunately. Possibly not worth the cost of pursuing.