Skip to main content

I'm 17, if I were to engage in oral sexual activities with a 15 year old female in Massachusetts, would it be legal?

New Bedford, MA |

Nothing specific, just casual relations.

Attorney Answers 8

  1. "Nothing specific, just casual relations?" Oral sexual activities is actually fairly specific and I would dare say, far from "casual relations." Seems to me you are both minors. What do you think her parents would think about the proposed "casual relations?"

    San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

  2. Even assuming the 15 year old in fact consented, you could be charged with statutory rape and indecent assault and battery under the circumstances you described. This is because the law states that a person under 16 years old is not legally capable of consenting to a sexual act. The fact that it is oral sex and not intercourse does not matter. Do not engage in any sexual act with a person under 16 years old.

    Another common occurrence is that the 15 year-old's parents find out about the sex, and then she claims she was forced into it, and then the other person finds himself charged with rape. Do not discuss this matter with anyone or post anything else about this on any online forum. If you cease relations with this other party, make sure to do so in a nice way so that she doesn't get angry and accuse you of a crime.

    Dominic Pang

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice. Additionally, this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to obtain legal advice specific to your case, please consult with a local attorney.

  3. The high cost a casual relationship:
    MGL. c.265, s. 23. [Commonly known as the Statutory Rape Law]. Rape and abuse of child.
    Whoever unlawfully has sexual intercourse or unnatural sexual intercourse, and abuses a child under 16 years of age, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of years or, except as otherwise provided, for any term in a jail or house of correction. A prosecution commenced under this section shall neither be continued without a finding nor placed on file.
    MGL c.272, s. 35A. Unnatural and lascivious acts with child under 16.
    Whoever commits any unnatural and lascivious act with a child under the age of sixteen shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years or in jail or the house of correction for not more than two and one half years, and whoever over the age of eighteen commits a second or subsequent such offence shall be sentenced to imprisonment in the state prison for a term of not less than five years.

    This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.

  4. No. A 15 year old cannot consent to sexual activity regardless of your age. This is "statutory rape."

    No answer provided by this attorney in this forum is to be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside.

  5. No. A 15 year old can not consent. You are an adult for criminal purposes. This is statutory rape.

  6. Oral sex is considered typically considered penetration and if committed on 15 year old would be rape of child. As pointed out a15 year old cannot lawfully consent. Rape of child is a life felony in Massachusetts. A lengthy state prison sentence would be received if convicted. Followed by sex offender registry.

    However, the one correction I would add is that a consensual touching of a person who is 15 or over that does not include penetration is not a crime in Massachusetts. The law of indecent assault battery on minors deals with persons 14 or under.

    Either way it's probably best to wait a year.

    Brian Kelley

  7. No, and you may find yourself in a prison cell with Bubba who wants the same activities which you will likely have to perform....

  8. Find someone your own age unless you want to go to prison...for a long time.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics