Skip to main content

I'm 16 years of age I'm in my senior year of high school and I have a steady job. Am I capable of being emancipated ?

Norfolk, VA |
Filed under: Juvenile law

I live at home with my mother and 3 siblings, I go to school and work, I'm an honor roll student and a hard worker. yet, me and my mother can not get along, she's abuse physical and verbal to myself and my younger brothers . I've been taking care of myself for 3 years now basically anything I need I provide for myself plus my family doesn't live close , my father has been a ghost since birth. I'm tired of disputes and altercations with my mother. Of course if I move out I would need some assistant with a place to stay but everything else is taken care of. I start college in the fall, I'll be 17 in may, I can't keep going on living in under these conditions any longer. can some one please give my advice on what to do ?

Attorney Answers 3


Call social services and report the abuse--even if you can get out, your siblings are still there. You can also ask them the requirements for emancipation in your state.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I would report this to child protective services before you start taking any self-help measures

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Because you would need assistance in living arrangements you are not a strong candidate for emancipation. I would contact local law enforcement to report any abuse.

Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback. This answer is only for informational purposes, is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and must be judged on its own unique facts.

Mark as helpful

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics